December 8th, 2016 Newsletter

Cleaning Allergens Out of Chimneys

Fireplaces can be a great way to heat a home and lower the electricity bill, but their chimneys can be full of harmful allergens and chemicals if not cleaned regularly. Generally, the chimney should be checked and cleaned twice a year, once in spring and before use in the winter or fall.
Here are a few benefits that come with sweeping and inspecting the chimney:

  • Improved Airflow

When the fireplace is used, soot and creosote buildup in the chimney walls. These chemicals are not only hazardous to health, but could cause damage the next time a fire is lit. Sweeping gets this buildup out, improving the airflow through the chimney.

  • Less Allergens

Debris and allergens, such as dust, buildup in the chimney even when it isn’t in use. A twice-yearly sweep will help to get rid of these allergens, making it easier for everyone in the household to breathe.

  • Inspection

When the chimney is professionally swept, it is also inspected. This will determine if there is any damage present and what may need to be fixed. This way, there are no surprises when the fireplace is lit.
Even with regular chimney maintenance, allergens can still enter into the home. One way to help eliminate them is with the Micro Power Air Guard Air Cleaner. This polarized media air cleaner filters out sub-micronic allergens that can trigger asthma or allergies in people. Ninety-eight percent of airborne particles are below one micron in size, which normal filters cannot collect.
Ask Diamond Heating and Cooling about the Micro Power Guard Air Cleaner.

Signs of a Dying Furnace

When properly serviced and maintained, furnaces can have a long lifespan of 15-18 years. When it’s time to be replaced, the furnace often gives homeowners some warning signs it is about to die. If the furnace is getting up there in age, keep an eye out for these signs:

  1. Thermostat

Has the thermostat been turned up, but there’s no response from the furnace? The furnace might not be able to keep up with the temperature demands anymore. However, check the battery and wiring of the thermostat first, to make sure it isn’t a thermostat issue.

  1. Low Airflow

If it seems like there’s less air flowing through the vents, the furnace is probably showing its age. It could also be clogged air filters, so double check that the filters aren’t filled with dust and debris.

  1. Dust

The older the furnace, the less capable it is of cleaning the air. This can result in an increase of allergens in the air, including dust. If surfaces in the home seem to be dustier than usual, or allergies and asthma are acting up, the furnace may be to blame.

  1. Yellow Gas Flames

Furnaces that are operating inefficiently can produce an excess of carbon monoxide. If the gas stove flames are more yellow than blue, this is a sign that there is too much carbon monoxide in the air, and it needs to be taken care of immediately.

  1. No Power

The most obvious sign of a dying furnace is the fact that it won’t turn on. Check the power to the furnace first, and then call Diamond Heating and Cooling.
A dead furnace won’t do much to keep the house warm this winter. Keep an eye out for these warning signs and talk to Diamond Heating and Cooling about installing a newer, more efficient model.

 

Fluffer-Nutter Hot Cocoa

One of the best ways to warm up on a cold day is with hot cocoa. This sweet, indulgent treat can be sweetened up even more with some marshmallow fluff and peanut butter to create something reminiscent of a melted peanut butter cup. Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:

  • 1 ¼ cup milk
  • ¼ cup marshmallow fluff, plus more for serving
  • 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
  • Pinch of salt
  • Heat the milk in a sauce pan over medium heat until it begins to bubble at the edges
  • Add remaining ingredients, let sit one minute
  • Whisk until smooth
  • Serve in a mug and top with a spoonful of marshmallow fluff if desired.

 

December Diamond Hugs

Diamond Heating and Cooling has partnered up with 89.5 KTSY to help you give a friend a new furnace. To enter: send an email to family@ktsy.org telling them about your friend and why they need the brand new furnace. In the email include your name and contact information along with theirs. You have until December 18th to send us your entries. The winner will be chosen December 23rd.